Every year, OSHA shares its top 10 most frequently cited safety violations. The list applies across all industries and is essential in understanding the most prevalent workplace safety concerns. Understanding these OSHA safety violations and associated risks can help lead to a safer workplace and fewer accidents.
For the 13th consecutive year, fall protection tops the list. The full list for fiscal year 2023 is as follows, along with the number of recorded OSHA violations:
- Fall Protection (General Requirements) – 7,271 violations
- Hazard Communication – 3,213 violations
- Ladders – 2,978 violations
- Scaffolding – 2,859 violations
- Powered Industrial Trucks – 2,561 violations
- Lockout/Tagout – 2,554 violations
- Respiratory Protection – 2,481 violations
- Fall Protection – Training Requirements – 2,112 violations
- Personal Protective and Lifesaving Equipment – Eye and Face Protection – 2,074 violations
- Machine Guarding – 1,644 violations
Many resources are available to help avoid OSHA safety violations and maintain a safe workplace. ICW Group policyholders can access one-on-one safety consultations, risk assessments, live and on-demand safety training webinars on various topics, and instructional videos. We also provide access to 1000s of safety resources and tools with our online learning management system Safety OnDemand®. Visit our Articles & Insights blog and find numerous helpful articles written by our team of Risk Management Consultants on how to be OSHA compliant, and prevent accidents and violations in each of the areas listed in the top 10.
If you’re not a policyholder, find out what your work comp carrier offers and utilize their resources to enhance your safety program. You are not alone.