As the COVID-19 pandemic took full form in 2020, fraud industry experts predicted a steep increase in fraudulent claims behavior driven by economic fears and pressures. Different from previous economic downturns, the full impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has been offset by government loans, grants, and other similar financial support mechanisms. As these programs wane, greater subsets of workers will return to the workforce.
Prepare now for future workers
Whether hiring for a job requiring a new set of skills or re-filling physically demanding job posts, it’s more important than ever to prepare now for what may lie ahead. Safety training, messaging, and protocols need to take top priority for all employers looking to hire to help prevent work comp fraud.
For those not in hiring mode, you are equally confronted with a new employment landscape where retaining quality talent can be extremely challenging as competitors offer various work perks and incentives.
Safety training reinforces to your teams that you care for their well-being and their success within your organization. Beyond the benefit of reducing the likelihood of an injury occurring, supported employees are less likely to resort to filing fraudulent claims.
These resources can help
Here are a variety of ICW Group resources to help prevent work comp fraud as you navigate the new workforce that is now our reality.
- Our VP, Risk Management, Rick Fineman, touches on employee training, emerging risks and reestablishing your safety culture in this Insurance Business America article.
- Watch our 4-part series and learn to keep your workers safe as they return to the office during COVID-19. The series addresses new regulations, vaccine workplace guidelines, safety controls you should be using now and planning for the future.
- Receive expert HR advice from our HR OnDemand partners about returning your employees to the office during COVID-19.
- Learn how to build a culture of safety and motivate your employees – new, returning and veteran – around safety with this 5-part Safety Certificate Webinar Series.
- Visit our online safety resources and learning management portal Safety OnDemand to access 1000s of safety materials and training courses. All are ready to deliver to your teams today.
- Support your injured workers! Here is a previous blog post on the topic where I share some tips on how to fight fraud with compassion and care. I also authored an article for Risk Management Magazine that touches on the subject and provides helpful fraud-fighting tips.
I hope this helps you and your business stay fraud-free and thriving in the new age.