ICW Group’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) provides top-tier fraud detection and prevention training for customers through our Work Comp Fraud: Spot It & Stop It! webinar series. Topics range from identifying red flags and conducting post-accident investigations to strategies to prevent fraudulent claims and how to identify the modern fraudster.
In our latest webinar installment – the 7th in our series – my colleague, SIU Major Case Investigator Teena Barton, and I discuss the different types of workers’ compensation fraud that our insureds face and what to look out for so you can spot attempted fraud. Called Fraud Awareness & Prevention, the webinar provides actionable tips to proactively prevent fraud in the workplace, including:
- Know who you hire. The hiring process is an essential first step in fighting fraud. Conduct thorough vetting and background checks and learn to recognize fake IDs.
- Educate and train your employees. Ensure your employees know what benefits are available to them, how to report an injury, and the consequences they can face if they attempt to commit fraud.
- Create a strong safety culture. Develop a comprehensive safety program that includes regular safety meetings, training, and employee engagement. Let employees know you care about them! Collaborate with your ICW Group Risk Management Consultant and utilize the thousands of safety resources we have available to you.
- Utilize surveillance. Invest in security cameras around your work premises and use them to validate legitimate injuries or catch suspected fraud. Cameras help deter fraud, and the footage can be handy in court.
- Don’t ignore complaints. Listen to your employees. If someone is complaining about an unsafe condition or poor treatment, take it seriously.
At ICW Group, we know that fraud fighting starts well before the claim is filed. Our webinars, and an ever-expanding library of injury prevention resources found on our Policyholder Center, are custom-built to arm you with the information necessary to ensure that your business does not fall victim to a fraudulent claim.
If you were unable to attend any of our live trainings, we’ve got you covered. The trainings are available for your viewing on demand. Click Here to get started.